Five Finger Prayer
1. YOUR THUMB is nearest you. So begin your prayers by praying for those closest to you. They are the easiest to remember. To pray for our loved ones is a worthy duty.
2. NEXT FINGER is the pointing finger. Pray for those who teach, instruct and heal. This includes teachers, doctors and priests. They need support and wisdom in pointing others in the right direction. Keep them in your prayers.
3. NEXT FINGER is the tallest finger. It reminds us of our leaders. Pray for the prime minister, leaders in business, industry and commerce. These people shape our nation and guide public opinion. They need God’s guidance.
4. FOURTH FINGER is our ring finger. It is the weakest finger as any pianist will tell you. It reminds us to pray for those who are weak, in trouble or pain. They need our prayers day and night. You cannot pray too much for them.
5. LITTLE FINGER is the smallest of all. It refers to us who ought to be the least important: ‘The last shall be first…’ By the time you have prayed for the others your own needs will be put into better perspective and your prayers will be more effective and realistic.